Tips for Saving Energy This Summer
From helping the environment to cutting down on your energy bills, saving energy is a win-win situation. But whether you realize it or not, you’re probably unnecessarily wasting a lot of energy every day. Here are some great, somewhat surprising ways to conserve energy and save money this summer:
- Keep your fridge full. If there’s more food in your fridge, it will trap the cold air inside when the door is opened. This way, your fridge won’t have to work as hard to stay cool.
- Replace air conditioning filters monthly. Doing so will ensure that your system isn’t being blocked by debris and running longer and harder than it needs to.
- Unplug electronics and appliances when you’re not using them. Even when turned off, most modern electronics will still use energy unless you unplug them. If you have a lot of electronics in one place, plug them into a power strip and use that to disconnect the power to them all at once.
- Always wash clothing in cold water. Saving your washer from having to heat the water will save a lot of energy. In addition, air drying your clothing will eliminate the energy used by your dryer.
- Avoid using the oven. Instead, use a grill, toaster oven, or microwave to heat food during the summer months. These appliances use far less energy than an oven does (and take less time!)
- Close the blinds and windows during the day and open them at night. By doing so, you’ll block the sun in the daytime and make use of the cold air in the nighttime. This will keep your home cool without having to use the air conditioning.
- If you have a pool, reduce the filtration time. It’s likely that you’re running your pool filter for longer than necessary. Try decreasing the time by 30 minutes a day. As long as the water still looks clean, you can keep lessening the time. You may find that your pool only requires about six hours of filtration a day.
Another great way to save energy this summer and all year round apart from the above mentioned tips for saving energy this summer, is to hire Induct Clean. We’re the preferred company for Philadelphia and South Jersey air duct/HVAC cleaning, dryer vent cleaning, carpet cleaning, and air purification. We can help make your home a healthier, more cost-effective place to live. Give us a call or send us an e-mail today to start taking advantage of our great services in Philadelphia and New Jersey!
If you’re interested in learning how to conserve energy in the winter as well, check out this post on our blog. In addition, you can find out how to purify your home’s air for the warm months by clicking here. As always, thanks for reading!