It is estimated that on an average an American spends 22 hours each day indoor may be in school, office or home. Hence, we spend more than 90% of our time inside so hence Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) is a big concern. But you will be surprised to know few scary indoor air quality facts.
EPA defines Indoor Air Quality as – Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) refers to the air quality within and around buildings and structures, especially as it relates to the health and comfort of building occupants.
1. As per the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), indoor air quality is one of the top 5 environment risks to public health. The EPA estimates that indoor air has 5 times more pollutants than outdoor air. Homes which are not cleaned on regular basis may have 100x more pollutant.
2. Indoor Air pollution is higher than outdoor air pollution in USA. Indoor pollution is the primary cause of health problems in homes. Risk of asthma increases with many indoor air pollutants. There has been seen an increase in the rate of pediatric asthma which is one of the most chronic conditions in USA.
3. Secondhand smoke is another culprit in deteriorating the indoor air quality. Secondhand smoke is known to cause cancer and has more than 7,000 chemicals, including at least 70 that can cause cancer. Infants are severely affected by secondhand smoke and it increases the chances of pneumonia, lower respiratory tract infections, lung diseases, ear and throat infections. More than 1/3 of children in the USA live in homes where residents or visitors smoke on a regular basis.
4. More than 70 % of Americans use air heating and central air in their homes and close to 50% do not change the filters in their heating/air conditioning unit every 2 to 3 months as recommended. You will be surprise to know that nearly 10% have never replaced it.
5. Air Fresheners are harmful – The NRDC has found out that most of the air fresheners that we use at our homes hoping to increase the air quality actually act as poison. These contain phthalates, a chemical known for disturbing hormone functions in babies and children. The same chemical also disrupts the reproductive development and may cause respiratory diseases like asthma.
6. Dust mites and their waste products are one of the most common causes of allergy and asthma. As per studies more dust mites live in your bedroom than anywhere else in your home. Also, 4 out of 5 homes in the USA have detectable levels of dust mite allergens in at least one bed.
7. 75% of all hay fever is caused by Ragweed and one ragweed plant is estimated to produce up to 1 billion pollen grains.
How to improve Indoor Air Quality?
The most effective way of improving indoor air quality
Source Removal – Clean your furniture. Avoid using perfumed chemicals for cleaning. Purchase organic furniture that has not been treated with any chemical.
Air Cleaning – Clean the air using air HEPA recommended air filters.
Increased Ventilation – Let the fresh air come into your home. Open the windows. This will reduce the concentration of air pollutants.
Call a professional cleaning company – Make a monthly and annual plan to call a professional cleaning company for cleaning air ducts, carpet, upholstery at your home or office.
Induct Clean is a Licensed Company serving the New Jersey and the Pennsylvania/Tri-State Area with the highest quality cleaning equipment and the most efficient restoration capabilities. We also cover South Jersey, Central Jersey and Philadelphia and offer cleaning services as per NADCA and IICRC guidelines
- Air duct cleaning,
- Dryer vent cleaning,
- Carpet cleaning,
- Tile and grout cleaning and
- Upholstery cleaning services.
Call us today to get cleaning estimates (609) 265-0775 | (215) 917-0220