Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Your Home and How to Prevent It.
Incomplete combustion of fuel emits carbon monoxide (CO) in air, which is a colorless, odorless, and toxic gas. Along with many other, few more sources that contribute to the atmospheric carbon monoxide are – respiration, cigarette smoke, wood burning in fireplace, industrial process, and automobiles. When exposed to carbon monoxide, CO molecule displays the oxygen molecule, and lead to carbon monoxide poisoning and illness. Since, it is an odorless and tasteless gas, we are unable to detect it with our senses.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that near about 400 Americans die from carbon monoxide poisoning every year. For more data information visit – The CDC Carbon Monoxide.
But a little awareness and checkpoints in place can prevent the carbon monoxide poisoning and avert the mishap.
Sources of Carbon at Home
- Tobacco smoke
- Fireplace both gas and wood burning
- Grill, ovens, stoves
- Lawn equipment
- Cloth dryers
- Water heaters
- Leaking chimneys and furnaces
Carbon Monoxide Levels in Home
According to the EPA average levels of CO in homes without gas stove range between 0.5 to 5 parts per million (ppm).
If your gas stove is properly adjusted the level will vary from 5 to 15 ppm
If your gas stove is poorly adjusted, the level of CO will go higher and may be 30 ppm of even more.
Potential Health Effects of Carbon Monoxide
CO concentration in air, length of exposure and individual health condition determine its health effects.
People exposed to lower concentration of carbon monoxide generally complain of fatigue and people with heart disease may feel pain in their chest.
- Chest pain
If you are exposed to moderate concentration of carbon monoxide, you may feel the following symptoms-
- Reduced activity of brain
- Blurry vision
Exposure to higher concentration of carbon monoxide is sometimes fatal or you may experience these symptom-
- Impaired vision and lack of eye coordination
- Fatal if the concentration is too high
How to reduce Carbon Monoxide concentration at home?
You can reduce the carbon monoxide poisoning at home by following certain guidelines, such as:
- Keep a check on your gas appliances at home. These should undergo a scheduled maintenance.
- Always use exhaust fans over gas stove vented outside.
- Call a trained professional to look for any leaks in chimney and furnace. Get this repaired, if leaky.
- Purchase only those wood stoves that are certified to meet EPA emission standard.
- Do not use grill, camp stove, generator, or any other charcoal burning appliance inside your home, in the garage or near window.
- Every fuel burning equipment must be installed by a certified professional only.
- Heating and cooling system, water heaters must be inspected by a qualified technician every year.
- Do not use fireplace that is not vented out.
- Keep your home well ventilated allowing fresh air to come inside.
- Do install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home.
- Test indoor air regularly.
Call Induct Clean for air duct cleaning for a cleaner air at home.
Induct Clean has a well-qualified and expert team which not only cleans ventilation system but thoroughly clean your HVAC unit, evaporator coil, blower, sir ducts, vent covers, accessible components and even the main trunk line.
We will help you in cleaning your air, removing all the harmful gases, and giving you a perfect home.
We are located at
Park Ave Hainesport, NJ 08036
5804 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19139
Our Toll Free #
1 (800) 211-0034