Air duct smells can be a real nuisance in the home. In this post, our experts discuss the root causes of unpleasant air duct odors and what you can do about them. Read on to learn more!
What Causes Air Duct Smells
Our air ducts affect the air quality in our homes. When bad air duct smells are present, you’ll likely notice them around the house every time your HVAC unit runs. Unpleasant air duct smells occur when contaminants like these build up over time:
- Pet dander.
- Mold, mildew and mold spores.
- Tobacco smoke by-products.
- Feces, nesting materials and the remains of insect or rodent infestations.
Get Rid of Air Duct Smells
There are several things you can do to eradicate air duct odors. These include:
- Place baking soda in a dish directly inside of an offending air duct. Baking soda is known to absorb bad smells can bring short term relief.
- Change air filters and clean your entire HVAC unit at home or have it serviced by a professional.
- The best way to get rid of musty or bad air duct smells is to clean air ducts thoroughly and professionally. Here at Induct Clean, our qualified technicians have the knowledge, experience and equipment it takes to get the job done right.
When to Clean Air Ducts
Regular air duct maintenance goes a long way toward preventing odors in the first place. The frequency with which air ducts should be cleaned will vary, depending on your home. Keep an eye out for the following signs:
- Evidence of mold in air ducts.
- Persistent musty odors.
- Signs of insect and/or rodent infestations.
- Occupants of the home frequently suffer from allergies, sore throats and coughing.
Work with a Professional!
Don’t put up with bad air duct smells—hire a professional! Induct Clean specializes in residential, commercial and industrial areas in the Tri-State area. Our professional services include air duct cleaning, dryer vent cleaning, carpet cleaning, HVAC cleaning and upholstery cleaning. Contact us today about our services – our team of experts is always ready to help!